About the project
This project arises from the need to improve our students‘ motivation, get better school intervention strategies, broaden our students‘ cultural and experiential horizons, and considerably improve their vision of scientific knowledge and its application to real life.
The project aims to tackle early school leaving, reduce intermittent absenteeism in our schools and improve their academic performance, as well as foster interest in science and motivate students to choose higher education related to the scientific field.
We established a 2-year partnership consisting of 4 countries: Poland, Spain, Romania and Lithuania. All our partners are secondary schools with (15-19) year-old students and the Municipal Laboratory of Seville (MLS) (Spain).
During the project lifecycle we have planned 7 transnational meetings. 2 of these meetings will last for 4-5 days as there are activities for students planned as follows:
1) Short-term exchanges of student groups (Spain).
In this activity the students of the club of each partner school will participate in the scientific experiments that are carried out in the Local Laboratory of Seville where these students will be able to experience Science in a real scientific working environment. The scientific experiences will also be performed in the school IES Antonio Domínguez Ortiz from Seville.
Date: June, 4th-8th 2018
2) Short- term exchanges of student groups (Romania)
This activity will close the two year collaboration in the Project and will consist of a Scientific Congress held by the students involved in the project.
Date: May 6th-10th 2019
During the other 5 meetings we have short-term joint training activities for teaching staff, meetings for further planning, analysis, presentations, etc.
EXPECTED RESULTS DURING THE PROJECT AND ON ITS COMPLETION
A. TANGIBLE RESULTS
1. Laboratory practices Design in biology and physicochemistry subjects for students based on research accompanied by a workbook specifically created to be used in the laboratory. In order to improve language skills, English will be the language used.
2. Design of didactic units in English proposing an educational system based on constructive thinking and research. These will be based on the practices carried out by the students who will cooperate in the design of the same according to their needs and preferences in order to improve the interest of the Students by the sciences.
3. Multilingual design of a Guide compiling the different units and practices in all partner languages in addition to English as the vehicle language.
4. Design of a multilingual scientific glossary of terminologies created by students themselves during the whole project.
5. Design of posters and merchandising material for the project dissemination in the different meetings, as well as in the Experimental and Scientific Congress, events celebrated and hold by the Educating Cities Network from Seville, as well as political events.
6. Elaboration of reports through an objective evaluation of the data related to the reduction of school absenteeism and the attraction of the scientific world using the rates of greater class attendance, academic results and the continuity in studies related to the field of sciences before and after the project.
7. Arrangement and preparation of scientific articles that will be sent to specialized magazines analyzing our project.
8. Attendance to Congresses for the presentation of the project and the results obtained.
9. Creation of a Science Club by the students to share their experiences with other colleagues and even with other schools in the same circumstances to serve as an example. And share scientific and personal experiences of participation in the project.
10. Design of the project’s website and participation of the group in social networks (Twitter, Facebook …) to share information and impressions and at the same time facilitate and receive comments, feedback and suggestions.
11. Recording of the proposed practices that will be disseminated through an own YouTube channel and which will also be posted on the project website.
12. Conduct video conferences for scientific advice and intended to share information on proposed activities, too. They will also be recorded on video and posted on the project website to have permanent access for those who need them in the future when carrying out the same activities.
B. INTANGIBLE RESULTS
1. Increase in the desire of knowledge together with a change of mind that encourages them to use critical thinking to analyse the world around them.
2. Increased scientific knowledge.
3. Development of critical thinking, problem solving, group dynamics and tolerance.
4. Greater knowledge and experience acquired by the teaching staff that can be extrapolated to the rest of colleagues, something that will result in a change in the didactic methodology.
5. Greater awareness of the European Union and a better cultural level as a result of the interaction with people from other countries and their stay in them.
6. Improvement in language skills due to the use of languages other than the mother tongue.
7. Compilation of ideas for the continuation of future lines of work.